Rising home prices coupled with the current inventory in today’s market may cause some homeowners to consider selling their homes on their own (known in the industry as a For Sale By Owner). However, a FSBO might be hard to execute well for the vast majority of sellers.
Here are the top 5 reasons not to FSBO:1. Online Strategy for Prospective Purchasers Studies have shown that 93% of buyers search online for a home. That’s a pretty staggering number! Most real estate agents have an Internet strategy to promote the sale of your home. Do you? 2. Results Come from the Internet According to NAR, here’s where buyers found the homes they actually purchased:
- 55% on the Internet
- 28% from a Real Estate Agent
- 10% Other
- 6% from a Yard Sign
- 1% from Newspapers
- The buyer, who wants the best deal possible
- The buyer’s agent, who solely represents the best interest of the buyer
- The buyer’s attorney (in some parts of the country)
- The home inspection companies, which work for the buyer and will almost always find some problems with the house
- The appraiser, if there is a question of value
“While 36% of sellers that (at first) attempted to sell their homes on their own, only 11 percent of sellers—in other words, less than a third…actually sold without an agent.”It appears working with a real estate professional is the best answer.